Monday, October 3, 2011

Tomatillo Salsa

This is a combination of the USU Extension Service's recipe and one I found online. Since I've tweaked the recipe, I'm not guaranteeing its safety...

6 cups tomatillos, chopped
3 cups onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups mild peppers, chopped (bell, wax, banana, etc.)
3 jalapenos, chopped (I used 2 because they were red and pretty hot)
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2-1 cup lemon juice (USU says 1 full cup for the acidity, so I think I went closer to that)
2 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Combine over high heat until boiling. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot salsa into hot pint jars (by the way, you can NOT can salsa in anything larger than a pint as it is too thick to process properly), leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Process in boiling water bath 20 minutes. ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment