Monday, April 18, 2011

Cabbage-Pear Salad


So, I was trying to find a recipe to use up some of our cabbage, but couldn't find one that sounded good or that we had all the ingredients for. So, I kinda made up my own--and Savannah even liked it! So did Jessy and he does NOT like coleslaw, so this one is a keeper. Adjust amounts to your taste...what I used is in parentheses.

Finely shredded cabbage (1/2 head of green...soak 15 min in salted water if bitter)
Chopped celery (1-2 ribs)
Pear, diced (1 anjou, but an apple would work, too)
Toasted almonds, roughly chopped (325 degrees for 8-10 minutes...about 1 cup)
Healthy mayo (1/4-1/3 cup)
Mustard (I used dijon, about 2 teaspoons...I think)
Lemon juice (a few squirts?)
Salt and pepper, to taste

Mix all and enjoy!!

**I definitely think you could add brown rice, chicken, and/or halved grapes to this recipe to make it more substantial or change it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment